Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mean Girls

So, I have always known that there are "mean girls" out there
Those ones that are nice to your face and mean behind your back
The ones that make jokes about you that are half humorous and half extremely hurtful
The ones that talk about people they hardly know.

definitely used to be one of those girls.  
i am sure i have times that i still am one of those girls
its a hard habit to break, especially if you never know you're doing it
i don't think many people do these things with the intention of hurting someone, but the truth is, it hurts everyone
i never saw how much it happens right in front of my face til this school year

my friends do it, other peoples friends do it, people do it in line waiting for food.
i am trying really hard to not be 

i have heard a lot of stuff this school year that just makes me think, "what if that person heard you saying this about them?" and "Would you be saying it if they were sitting right next to you?"

going into my relationship with my fiance i agreed with him that i would never do anything while he is NOT around that i would not do if he WAS around.
its been a very good thing for us because it leaves no grey areas.
its either okay or its not, end of story.
i have no idea why it has taken me a year and a half to realize that i can apply the same thought to all of my relationships!
wouldn't the world be a more comfortable place if we could do that?

but i don't think its enough for me to just not participate in these Mean Girl behaviors.
i don't want to support it by listening to other people do it either.

so this is my new rule for myself...
if i would not say it to their face, i won't say it behind their back
if i would not want them to hear it, i don't want to hear it.

this is going to be a lot easier said than done
so what i need from anyone that reads this is accountability
call me out when you think i am being a Mean Girl
...i won't lie being called out puts anyone on edge and i am sure i will be defensive, but know that i won't hate ya for it. 
i'll come around to remember that i need to practice what i preach 
especially since what i always preach is LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment